Warning

Sexual situations contained within this story and some sim nudity too. I tried to keep the explanations to a minimum but I am a romance writer. 80)

Chapter 22

Monday, March 23, 2009

Marianne walked on quivering legs towards the front of the house, worry, and fear encompassing her.

Why she had chosen to come here was beyond her, for the house held no happy memories, no sense of comfort.

Slowly she took a tentative step towards the large glass and wood door, her heartbeat rising inexplicably. Stopping she tightly squeezed her eye closed, a rush of emotions engulfing her.

It seemed the house with its unhappy memories did not want her to be here anymore than she herself had as a child.

After several minutes of quiet tears, Marianne had managed to swallow her discontent and made her way into the dust-filled house, a house that had sat unused for far too long.

Sneezing she walked further into the parlor and sat upon the used yet comfortable chaise, another sneeze escaping her as a cloud of dust swirled into the air about her.

It did not take long for her weary and worn body to relax, bring about a bout of drowsiness. A strange feeling for the normally active young woman, as she set there a realization slowly dawned upon her.

For the first time she actually felt a sense of peace within these walls, a feeling she attributed to her recent dispatch of naivety, no longer was she an innocent child, now she was in all aspect a woman.

The thought alone brought tears to her eyes as she thought back to the young stable hand she had loved, the young man whose attentions had been found by her mother and ended in her marriage to the nefarious Henry; laying upon the arm of the lounge she allowed her misery to come forth.

Allowed her thoughts to ramble, from Michael to Henry and settle upon the darkly handsome yet dangerous man from the ball.

“Milady,” Jonathon, the driver quietly stated as he entered, disrupting her thoughts.

Startled she hurriedly righted herself and focused her gaze upon him. For the first time noticing how handsome the young man was, as she quietly observed that he did a fine job of disguising any discomfort he may have felt at the meager surroundings.

“You will catch a chill; I shall set a fire for you.” He pointedly stated, unaffected by her intense and scrutinizing gaze.

Relaxing once again, she again settled against the arm of the chaise, a sense of comfort over coming her. “Thank you,” she whispered with a grimace as her back clenched. Her muscles and bones seemed forever bruised from the uncomfortable ride, jostling she could have avoided had she not insisted he travel at break neck speed. Through heavy lidded eyes, she watched as he made quick work of starting a blazing fire, the heat of it quickly chasing away the chill in the air.

“Milady, I shall go to town and gather some supplies,” he stated in concern, words she barely heard as the warmth caressed her body, lulling her to slumber.

The gentle crackle and snap of the blazing logs filling her thoughts, incapable of suppressing it, Marianne yawned broadly before succumbing to slumber, a deep dreamless sleep where she could escape from the reality of all that had happened.

Francis alerted immediately to the thick scent of wood smoke, in a fit of rage she purposefully made her way towards the front door, of the old manor.

The house that had once belonged to her and Charles, less than enthusiastically she threw the door open wide and stormed into the sitting room.

Her sharp-eyed gaze falling immediately upon the slumbering shadowed form of a woman, “Have you no sense of respect,” she snapped.

“Arise and face your future you trespassing wretch!” she screeched furiously, anger and a brief hint of fright in her tone.

Blinking rapidly Marianne’s eyes fluttered open at the distinct shrill tone of her mother’s voice, “Is that any way to refer to your daughter,” she quietly murmured. Glancing about in confusion at the darkened room the only light that of the dwindling fire; immediately it occurring to her that she had slept for several hours.

Francis took an unsteady step back, surprise, and shock coursing through her at the sound of Marianne’s voice. “Why are you here?” her question was unsteady, shaky just as she herself felt this moment. “You should be with your husband,” she added.

Five minutes later the two women stood warily facing the other the soft golden light illuminating the striking resemblance between the two. It occurring to Marianne that her mother had seemingly aged, thick dark circles that were prominent under her eyes and she noticed a few lines that seemed deeply etched at the creases of her mother’s mouth and eyes.

“Is the viscount here with you?” Francis finally stated her tone thick with tension.

Turning her gaze towards the fire, Marianne stared uncomfortably at the flickering blue and gold flames. The heat of it doing little to chase away the chill that had settled within her the moment her mother had arrived.

“No,” she finally managed the mere thought of him aching her. “It is in my opinion that he is most likely enjoying a tryst with his mistress.” She snapped, swallowing at the sting of the acidic bile in her throat.

Francis stared in disbelief upon her daughter, a very small part of her feeling for the heartache Marianne was experiencing. The wistful broken look that masked her face, pulled at Francis’s heart. “I am sorry that you must know of your husband’s indiscretions, yet your place is with him no matter what his choices are. Your duty is to provide an heir and maintain pretense of a happy union.” Her tone cool, uncaring and matter of fact.

Marianne turned her shocked and disgusted gaze upon her mother fury quickly encompassing her.

“You truly think so lowly of me!” she cried out in disbelief and heartache, cringing as her mother turned abruptly towards her, yet incapable of stopping herself.

“You would have me stay in this miserable situation while my husband beds that wretched Lady Ava and take his side?” The words flew from her mouth and she did not care they were improper, each infuriating comment pushing the tears from her eyes, shattering what little sense of composure she had left.

“What would you know of losing your husband to another, for you were spared the humiliation of scandal. For at least my father died, merely subjecting you to the pity of others!” She spat out in disgust, hatred evident in her tone.

“I will say this, Henry, his family and you had best pray that the child I carry is indeed the heir, for I shall not allow his filthy hands upon me again!” She screeched turning and fleeing from the room, her sobs trailing after her.

Francis crumpled into the chair, her mind spinning never before had her daughter spoken so harshly to her, and yet she could not deny it.

She understood her daughter had fallen in love with the man she had married and for the first time she actually felt remorse, “Marianne, I know far more than you realize.” She whispered sadly, remembering all too well the sorrow and despair she felt when Annette had stolen from her the love and devotion of Charles.

“What is with the Carmichael women?” she snarled under her breath, her eyes narrowing dangerously as she began to formulate a plan to rid herself and her daughter of the ill begotten child of her husband.

Marianne stumbled and fell to the ground before the old dilapidated well, a wry smile crossing her face as she glared angrily upon it.

“Oh how fitting I should fall here,” she cackled in despair, “Possibly I should wish for my husband to fall madly in love with I,” she sarcastically bit out, “then again it isn’t as if it should ever matter.” She breathed out a fresh wave of heartache surging through her as she thought back to her youth.

Memories flooding her thoughts of how for as long as she could remember she had wished, hoped and prayed at this very spot for happiness, for her mother’s love. For all that, she had been so denied in childhood. The breaking of a twig startling her as she hurriedly rose from the ground and turned fearfully around.

Gabriel had been surprised to say the least when he had come upon the young woman from the ball, her anger, and heartache pouring from her as she lashed out at her mother. “Good eve Marianne,” he murmured stepping from the shelter of the tree and setting the small candle he carried upon the ground…


To Be Continued

21 comments:

cheripye said...

I realized that a few of the shots show a big Z in them, because Marianne was napping. But unfortunately the no Z's hack gives my game trouble...

Anyhow I hope you all enjoy!!! Oh yes and sorry for the francis change... I couldnt find my packaged one and it seems the game just swallowed her whole....

Phoenix said...

You know what Cherie? I didn't even notice the Z's until you said something! I was too busy looking at the amazing surroundings! Wow, great job! I felt like I was in that time period!

I enjoyed getting a peek into Mari's life. You certainly made us feel how heartbroken she is! And the dynamics with her relationship with her mother was great! Although I have to admit I don't like Francis' last thought! *shudders*

Ohhh...meeting Gabriel while she's so vulnerable might not be such a great idea!

Great update Cherie!!

QG said...

I totaly agree with phoenix. francis' last thought and the pic to go with it. i pulled away from my screen a sec. creepy. *shudders*
Stupid stubborn Henry I hope everything gets cleared before someone gets hurt...

great update!

S.B. said...

Wow...extremely tense, ominous and full of such pain and regret and anger. Francis seems to have some sympathy for Mari but she is certainly not helping the situation. For a second I thought Mari intended to jump down the well.

And then to have Gabriel show up - I got goose flesh just seeing him shining there in the shadows.

Beautiful shots. Love the way you play with light, color and shadow. And I never noticed any z's either! I was whipping through, I was so engrossed, and had to go back a second time because I didn't want to miss anything!

Wonderful wonderful update! Eerie and sad and gripping!

cheripye said...

Thank you Phoenix!!
Me and my perfectionist butt, I saw them in a read through and then went back into my pictures to try and find some that didn’t have it, LOL! When I couldn’t find them I even briefly debated going back into the game. But figured forget it.

Glad you liked the pictures!!! Especially when you always have such stunning ones!

I am glad that Mari’s life was portrayed that way. It was what I wanted… She and her mother certainly do not get along well… And Francis is an evil and conniving witch!!! Beware the silent cat… 80)

Your right Meeting Gabriel then was not the best timing…

Thank you so much for reading and commenting, I am thrilled you enjoyed!!

cheripye said...

Thank you GQ!!
Yes Francis is certainly not a pleasant being… Sorry that I creeped you out, then again I was going for shock value here. LOL! The true Villain at long last emerges!!

Poor brainless Henry has utterly no clue… And that is truly the question, will he find her before it is too late. Although the moment Francis Met Ava it was too late. 80)

cheripye said...

SB Thank you So MUCH!!

I was going for that range of emotions... Francis is the true villain of this tale and she was never truly kind to Mari either! 80)

No Mari wont do that, she is actually coming into herself at long last. 80) learning just who and what she is...

I loved that shot of Gabe and her... LOL! it was entirely and utterly eery... I actually worked really hard to get it lightened...

These shots just seemed to fall into place as needed, and the editing though minimal still I had fun playing with them.

Thank you so much again!!

KDSGS said...

Beautiful shots as always Cherie, evoking such emotion, of course, what are shots without the crackling writing to go with it?
How wonderfully you wrote of Marianne's tentative entry into the house.
Ah HA! I knew it, the handsome driver...LOL! And thoughtful too, stoking that fire, loved Marianne's scrutiny of his obvious charms. Nicely played.
Love the shot of Francis in shadow entering the room, like the wicked witch from Snow White.
Typical Regency mothery advice doles out by Francis, keep a stiff upper lip and look the other way, Marianne showed some spunk by standing up to her mother, but let several cats out of the bag.
Now the evil Frances will scheme.
Eek! The rake has come upon her! Will Marianne succumb to his numerous charms?
Great cliffhanger, lovely update~~

Cheers mate!

cheripye said...

Thank you So much Karen!
This chapter to me came out well... 80)
LOL! yes he was stoking the fire, but which fire or both is the question, LOL!
Francis is certainly the evil witch!! I dont like her much at all. LOL!
Yes several cats, things she shouldnt have stated, because now the wicked witch has that much to stoke the fire with...
LOL! LOL! I am not sure if she will succumb to him, somehow I doubt it, although there is the stage hand to contend with too...
Thank you so much for the lovely comment!!

Emily said...

Been trying to make it here but my days are getting too full! :D
I love taking a little break and sneaking in some reading!

Love that you focused on Marianne, she is a really interesting character and you truly feel something for her now that more has been revealed about her. I always felt bad that she ended up with Henry but even more so now. Hopefully he will get his act together soon.

And her mother is quite wicked! Already plotting of doing something about Ava, who isn't even with Henry! :D
I cannot wait to see the moment when all the truths surface here!

And oh boy, Gabe sneaking around in the dark, she better steer clear of him!

Wonderful update, well done!

thewynd said...

Cherie this was another great update! I feel so bad for poor Marianne. Her mother is really a beast of a woman. Cold and yet she has some sympathy for her daughter, at least in some way that affects her. She really resents Mari which is odd since you would think they would be allies.

Breathtaking scenery and wonderful use of light here. It was very effective and added that bit of punch to the story.

Not so sure Gabriel is arriving at the best time...

Mao said...

Oh, no! Marianne, what are you doing? Two wrongs don't make a right. Hopefully Henry gets there in time to explain everything to her. Not that much should happen in such scant time, but still. This has gone on long enough, sheesh! One misunderstanding after the other. Henry needs to nut up and take care of business.

I like the new layout. :D

cheripye said...

Thank you Emily!!
Take your time, your so very blessed to have your days full. 80)

Mari is an interesting character. I really wanted this piece and struggled with it for a long time getting it just right. LOL!

I too feel bad for her, and Henry well... There are always a few pitfalls in the first year of marriage. lol! Something that will be compounded here, by the fact that it was arranged. 80)

Yes Francis... Beatrice is an Angel in comparison, LOL! Getting closer to the end of this story now...

LOL! had to have her run into Gabe!

cheripye said...

Thank you Gayl,

Yes Francis is a beast! and the resentment between them, it is really truly natural... They are always poking the other... 80) But the resentment has everything to do with the fact Mari wasnt a boy, Francis in essence lost everything when Charles left and had to raise the child on her own.

I did have fun playing with the light in this one, and actually had to do some editing to do such. But it helped.

Now as far as Gabriel goes, that still remains to be seen. 80)

S@n said...

Oh my!! What a crazy scary witch!! Francis really did look insane in that last picture!! yikes... poor Marianne, she had to spent her early years with that woman....

Wonderful update, I love every part of it,that last picture of Gabriel was fantastic, I love the ligthing and everything else in it...

I feel so sorry for Mari, you really captured her feelings really well! I just hope she can get some happiness...
she deserves it...

cheripye said...

Sorry Mao I just realized my comment didnt post.

Yes Henry certainly needs to pull his head from his uh... Butt... Yeah thats the word, 80)

Mari well I dont think she is going to do anything to ridiculous. We will soon see though. 80)

Misunderstanding abounds in this entire ordeal, all over everyones stupidity...

Thanks for reading. 80)

cheripye said...

Yes Sandy Francis is a scary one! and poor Mari being stuck with that for a mother, it is a wonder she is who she is. But it is also the main reason she is so timid. 80)

Thank you so much for the lovely compliment, I enjoyed this particular update, it just seemed to flow really well for me. And I am so happy you enjoyed it. 80)

HarperP said...

I came across your story this morning, and now I MUST find time in my day to go back and read the other chapters!!! Such beautiful writing, and I love your photos! So much detail! Great job!

cheripye said...

Thank you HarperP!

I shudder at the other chapters!!! LOL! I would like to think my writing has gotten better since I first began... 80) I do hope that you enjoy though!

Anonymous said...

I've been slowly making my way through the SWA stories and I finally caught up with this one!

Wow! You've really nailed this as a period piece. From the writing, the details, the scenery, the characters. All 22 chapters, I was completely struck by your attention to detail.

Marianne's mother... wow, that is one unstable woman. She is so explosive and then she's somewhat sympathetic? I fear that whatever remorse she feels will be swallowed by her coldness.

I adore Marianne. She has such a good hold on herself, her values, and her senses despite everything that happens to her.

I'm curious, though, about Gabriel.

Awesome story!

cheripye said...

Thank you so much Veron,
Glad you made it!

Thank you so much for the compliment, the other chapters to me just seem so lacking in the writing department. LOL! Suppose that is the reason you dont go back and read your earlier works. LOL! you will always find fault!

I love!!! to build and create these lots... With the exception of the ship they are all mind. 80)

Yes Francis is certainly a cold one, not to be trusted in the least... And unstable is PERFECT!

Mari is a good sweet girl, I like her too, although my fav is still Ava...

And Gabriel... UH OH... To much heat there to deny and yet...

Glad you enjoyed wish I could say an update were coming soon... But I have to rebuild... 80)

  © Blogger template Newspaper II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP